In 1928, William R. MacPherson, Sr. left the dairy business and began to sell real estate in Wallingford. Four years later, in June of 1932, MacPherson — with his wife Anna, four sick children and “two pennies in his pocket” — opened his own office at 4229 Brooklyn Ave. in Seattle’s University District.
Their sons Bill and Murdock assumed control of the company after returning from World War II. Combining their talents, the two brothers created a varied and successful real estate company that dealt with development and new construction, recreational properties, relocation and residential re-sale properties.
Shortly after Bill’s death in 1988, Murdock and the family decided that it would be best for the residential and property management divisions of the company to go ahead under the leadership of Bill’s children — Scott, Doug, Shawn and Bruce. Murdock retained control of the recreational inventory and rental properties and formed a new development company as well.